Monday, May 25, 2009

Giorno de Mercato

Wednesday is market day in Montorio but it is like no market I have ever seen. The whole downtown core of this town is open only to pedestrian traffic as this market is spread out over several blocks. You can buy virtually anything from small appliances to fresh fish. There are stalls for clothes, shoes, underwear, hardware, electronics, butchers, bakers and although I didn't see one, I'm sure that somewhere is the candlestick maker! I saw rugs, draperies, luggage and linens. You can buy gelato, spit roasted (on the spot) chicken and porchetta (whole roast pig) on a bun to munch on while you shop. It's a mobile mall and a lot more fun.

We spent about an hour there and then stopped at a supermarket on the way back. You still need go there to get things like toothpaste, laundry detergent etc. While the others picked up their necessities, I browsed the booze aisle. I bought 3 bottles of wine and a bottle of Limoncello for under 10Eu in total. I saw a 26oz bottle of Smirnoff Vodka for 7 Eu. We are so getting ripped off!

We headed back to Ida's for a late lunch and a quiet afternoon. I sat outside a fair bit trying to burn the images into my brain as this was my last day in Leognano. Time to start packing - Drat!

No comments:

Post a Comment