Thursday, May 21, 2009

Venezia a Roseta

Wanting to make sure that I didn't have to hoof it to the Train station I got up early Sunday morning and decided to have a bath before venturing down to the breakfast room. Now, the tub was equipped with a hand held shower head suspended from a hanger about 6 feet up. There was no water spout so you have to use the shower head with which to fill the tub. Anyway, I started the water running and since the shower head was quite heavy, I laid it down in the tub and went about packing my suitcase.

You know that moment in time, when you become aware that the sound you were hearing changes? Ayuh, I rushed to the bathroom door to see the shower head on its back, facing out of the tub of course, happily spraying the walls, the floor, the toilet, out the door soaking the carpet... I used every single towel and the bathmat to soak up the water - tile floor - really didn't need to go slip slidin' away!

I finally got things under control - had my bath - had to drip dry of course and went down for Brekkie, got my bags and checked out by 8:30. My first train was at 10:43 so I knew that no matter what, I had plenty of time. Lo and Behold! The boat was where it was supposed to be. The ticket lady actually sold me a ticket. I boarded the boat and settled in for a leisurely 40 minute cruise along the Grand Canal all the way to the Station.

Below is a view from the boat.


These boats operate like buses do on city streets. There are bus-boat stops all along the Grand Canal. They are sheltered floating platforms. The boat pulls alongside and an attendant ropes them together and ... everybody getting off the boat, gets off and everybody getting on the boat, gets on the boat. The tether is released and the boat cruises to the next stop. It's all very Venetian!
I was about 1.5 hours early for my train so I sat outside under a tree enjoying the people and the boats. My train to Bologna was right on time and the trip totally uneventful. In Bologna, I had to change trains for San Benedetto. This was a regional train not the EuroStar. Think Via Rail - it was on time, clean, a little run down and a little less comfortable. When I realized that it wasn't going to be EuroStar, I figured there would not be a dining car. It was around lunch time and I was getting hungry and a little thirsty but I didn't have time to scope out the station for a restaurant. All the Italian train stations I've seen have drink and food machines on the platform. Not wanting to chance food poisoning, I ignored the packaged sandwiches and settled for a coke and a couple of bags of chips which I figured would tide me over until I got to Ida's.
The train was again on time. I found a spot for my suitcase and settled in with my pseudo-lunch.
You know how a carbonated drink sometimes gets a tad jiggled when dropped in a vending machine? Luckily the spray didn't get any of my seatmates, but my lap was soaked!
I arrived in San Benedetto and had about 15 minutes before my train to Roseta. By now, we are getting a little further into the boonies - no more announcements in English. In order to know on which platform you need to be you have to hump your luggage downstairs, walk under the tracks and come up into the station - find the departure list which will tell you on which track to expect your train. Then you hump your luggage down the stairs to the stairwell leading up to your track. I will never pack a heavy suitcase again! Oh, for those of you who are contemplating a purchase of luggage, make sure it also has a handle on the side - much easier to pick it up that way - mine doesn't have one.
Finally, about 20 minutes behind schedule, this dilapidated go-train look alike pulls into the station. Once we were underway, it was fine. I arrived in Roseta to see Ida waiting for me. Two of her friends had come along to pick me up and we drove the 35 minutes to Leognano and Ida's home.
The picture below is the road leading up to Ida's place. The town is situated on the side of a mountain like most towns in Italy. The slope is really a lot steeper than it looks in the picture.


Below is Ida's house - red brick. It's small, but very comfortable. She has everything she needs.



I was tired after all the travel that day. So while Ida went to church in Montorio, I sat on the porch and absorbed the surrounding beauty. More next time.
Ciao for now!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, I'm tired just reading about all that humping around! What a sweet house Ida has! Can't wait to read more about your visit there.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete